This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may earn a commission if you make a purchase using these links at no extra cost to you.
Some babies are born with allergies and it is important to ensure your baby uses the appropriate formula to avoid health complications. Hypoallergenic formula is a formula recommended for babies who have issues digesting cow milk-based formula.
The proteins found in the hypoallergenic formula has been predigested so that the large milk proteins are broken down into smaller ones. This process would make the formula suitable for a baby who cannot properly digest cow milk-based formula. You should have in mind that hypoallergenic formula is made of cow milk but the only difference is that it is processed to suit your baby’s digestive system and less likely to cause an allergic reaction.
Most times, hypoallergenic formula is not great when it comes to taste and babies might tend to reject it when given. The only option to make your baby take a hypoallergenic formula is to make it taste better through baby-friendly taste-enhancing agents. Below are 5 ways to make hypoallergenic formula taste better.
5 Ways to make hypoallergenic formula taste better
1) Organic vanilla extract
When using organic vanilla extract to sweeten your baby’s hypoallergenic, you have to be conscious to check the ingredient used in the production for your baby’s safety. A good organic vanilla extract that can be used to sweeten your baby’s hypoallergenic should be made from only natural vanilla beans, no added colouring, alcohol, preservatives or sugar. Add just a few drops of organic vanilla extract when mixing your baby’s formula to make it sweeter. Good organic vanilla extract you can add include simplt organic vanilla extract, McCormick All Narural Pure Vanilla extract and Cook’s organic Pure Vanilla extract.
2) Rice cereal
Rice cereal that doesn’t contain milk is less likely to make your baby have an allergic reaction. Ensure you check the ingredients on the pack of the rice cereal to be sure you are getting a rice cereal that won’t cause your baby more allergic reactions. Add 2 teaspoon of rice cereal per 1 oz. when mixing your baby’s formula. Ensure you assist your baby to sit upright during feeding to avoid a choking hazard. Good rice cereal you can use to make hypoallergenic formula taste betters are – Gerber DHA & probiotic single-grain rice baby cereal and Arrowhead Mills Puffed Rice cereal.
3) Brown rice syrup
Brown rice syrup has been recommended for several years. Your baby’s digestive system is still developing and cannot digest so much sugar at once. Therefore, a few drops of brown rice syrup should be added to your baby’s hypoallergenic formula to make it sweeter due to the arsenic levels in the sweetening agent. Examples of good brown rice syrup are – Lundberg Eco-farmed brown rice syrup and Brown rice syrup.
3) Fruit puree/ fruit juice
Fruit puree or fruit juice is another taste-enhancing agent. Stir in a small amount of fruit juice or fruit puree in your little ones hypoallergenic formula to create a more appealing taste. Ensure you blend your fruits in a food processor or blender until very smooth so your baby doesn’t have any issues digesting the formula.
4) Chocolate syrup
Adding chocolate syrup can make your baby take the hypoallergenic formula without a fuss. Ensure you get a chocolate syrup that has no dairy or soy to avoid making your baby have allergic reactions. Add 2 tablespoons in a 6oz bottle and spread a little syrup on the nipple of the bottle to make your baby take the formula faster. Good chocolate syrup you can use to make hypoallergenic formula taste better are Hershey’s chocolate syrupe bottle quarter module and Santa Cruz organic syrup chocoloate.
When adding sweetening agents to a hypoallergenic formula it is important to be cautious so you don’t disturb your little one’s sensitive tummy.
There are different brands of hypoallergenic formula available in the market today and it is important to get one of the best tasting hypoallergenic formula so your baby eats without making a fuss. Below is a list of best tasting hypoallergenic formula.
List of Best tasting Hypoallergenic Formula
- Enfamil PureAmino Hypoallergenic Baby Formula: This formula is designed to meet the nutritional need of babies with allergic reactions to give them a healthy development. It is produced with the recommended dose of DHA and also easy to digest. Enfamil PureAmino Hypoallergenic Baby Formula has a great taste for your little one.
- Nutramigen Hypoallergenic Baby Formula: This formula is made with protein that is broken down to avoid giving your baby any allergic reaction. It relieves colic within hours and also boosted with probiotics. Nutramigen Hypoallergenic Baby Formula is gentle on your baby’s tummy and has a mild taste.
- Enfamil PureAmino Hypoallergenic Baby Formula: This formula is produced with two special fatty acids that are found in the breast milk which are essential for the healthy development of your baby’s brain and eye. Enfamil PureAmino Hypoallergenic Baby Formula is easy to digest and is one of the best tasting hypoallergenic formula since it doesn’t have a harsh taste.
- Baby’s Only Organic Lacto Relief: This formula is 100% organic. It is made with a low-lactose diary for babies who cannot process milk protein. It does not contain corn syrup or any GMO. Baby’s Only Organic Lacto Relief is one of the best tasting hypoallergenic formula.
- Neocate SyneoTM Infant: This formula is an amino based hypoallergenic formula that plays a vital role in managing your baby’s allergies. It contains probiotics which makes the formula easy to digest. Neocate SyneoTM Infant has a mild taste which makes mealtime fuss-free.
- EleCare for Infants Hypoallergenic Powder: This is an amino acid-based formula produced to manage the protein allergies of babies. It is designed to strengthen the immune system and the digestive system of your baby. EleCare for Infants Hypoallergenic Powder has an appealing taste so your baby might not make a fuss during mealtime.
- Similac Alimentum Hypoallergenic Infant Formula: This formula has complete nutrition for babies who cannot digest the normal milk-based formula. It is free from corn starch and any sweetener. It also boosts your baby’s cognitive system since it is fortified with DHA & ARA which is also found in the breast milk. It comes as ready to use and also has a great taste.
Giving your baby who has an allergy to cow milk-based formula the wrong type of formula might lead to serious health complications. Hypoallergenic formula is specially made for babies who cannot properly digest cow milk-based formula.
Although the hypoallergenic formula doesn’t have the best taste and you might get a fuss from your little one during mealtime, you can make hypoallergenic formula taste better by adding the above sweetening agent can help the formula taste better.
Picking the best tasting hypoallergenic formula can be quite tricky. The above list of best tasting hypoallergenic formula would make it easy when getting a hypoallergenic formula for your baby.